A child’s imagination is limitless. They can transform the most mundane object into something utterly fantastical, and see opportunities for fun in spaces to which adults wouldn’t give a second glance. But what if you could build a playground that fostered this creativity, helping children to think outside the box while also learning important teamwork and communication skills?
Adventure playgrounds do exactly this. The right equipment can challenge and thrill even the most inventive children to think in new ways as well as reaping all the benefits of active, outdoor play.
What is adventure playground equipment?
The term adventure playground sounds very grand, and can conjure up images of complex (and expensive) equipment. However, this doesn’t have to be the case.
When it comes to building a great adventure playground, success comes through thorough planning, You need to create a challenge. Should they go over it? Can they go under it? Is there a hidden secret to getting there faster?
Allowing children to experiment with taking different routes keeps them engaged for longer, as well as encouraging them to work together to find the most effective ways of negotiating the equipment.
However, adventure doesn’t have to go hand-in-hand with risk. Many people think that to create an adventure playground you need high equipment, something that comes with an inherent level of danger. Including items that are physically demanding, has its benefits from a health perspective, however these can be close to the ground.
What are the benefits of adventure play?
Adventure play offers a number of distinct advantages to the children who participate in it. Here are a few:
- Staying active: It’s widely known that children who start exercising early are likely to keep it up in later life. Encouraging activity sets children up for healthy lifestyles.
- Motor skills: As well as improving physical fitness, adventure playgrounds can benefit motor and balance skills.
- Learning to communicate: Challenging obstacles teach children the benefits of working together, and the satisfaction of overcoming testing situations.
- Problem-solving: Whether working on their own, or with other children, well laid out adventure playgrounds encourage creative thinking.
What are examples of adventure play equipment?
With this in mind, here are some examples of adventure play equipment:
- Low ropes courses: Want to help children develop their motor skills while also gaining confidence in their balance in a safe way? A low ropes course is the perfect answer.
- Wobbly bridges: Is it over lava or shark infested waters? Features like this allow children's’ minds to run wild.
- Spider web climbs: With so many different ways of making it to the top, spider web climbs offer hours of fun and exercise.
These are just a few ideas for adventure play equipment that will thrill and inspire the children in your playground.
The focus is on placement, and the overall design of the playground. Objects standing in isolation are far less likely to attract the same levels of engagement as those incorporated into a well thought through design which motivates children to think outside their everyday experiences.
What to consider when looking for adventure play equipment?
When you start researching adventure play equipment you’ll soon discover you have a lot to choose from. Knowing where to start, therefore, can be difficult. While every project will have its own unique specifications, there are a few general guidelines that should be considered:
- Health and safety: As with any playground type, you need to ensure that the equipment you choose is as safe as possible.
- Accessibility and inclusivity: Think about whether you’re providing a range of equipment that will present appropriate challenges to a variety of ages and abilities.
- Fun factor: If your playground is ultimately going to be a success, it needs to be fun and engaging so that children want to come back time and time again.
However, finding the right equipment is only part of the story. From surfacing to planning permissions, there a host of hoops you need to jump through before you can open your gates to the public.
This is where Playrope comes in. We can work as your creative partners from the start of the project to its end, ensuring the finished product lives up to your expectations, and those of the children who will use it.
Our product range offers you a huge range of choice over your equipment, with options to suit playgrounds of all shapes and sizes.
To find out more about how Playrope can help you create an adventure playground that will thrill and inspire kids for years to come get in touch with us today.
Clever design will ensure that using any piece of equipment can be the start of an adventure.
Play your own way
We work with our clients to develop custom designs that meet their individual needs.