Heat is a fact of life in Australia. While we all need to watch how much we expose our skin to the sun, it’s vital that kids have the opportunity to play outside even when summer is in full swing. This is where water play equipment comes in.
Water play is a great way for children to cool off outdoors, while still benefiting from the social and health benefits of activities.
On top of this, aquatic play has been shown to help young people expand other skills which can translate into other areas of their development. Hours of fun, and rewarding experiences are on offer from well designed and properly equipped water parks.
What is aquatic play equipment?
The aim of aquatic play equipment is to enable children to experience water in unique ways. Products may feature thought provoking cause-and-effect activities whereby water is triggered through different actions.
Alternatively, they may require children to solve problems to unleash the fun of sprays and jets.
Aquatic play equipment can emphasise activity, learning or both. It can be developed to cater for specific age groups, or to appeal to a broader base, encouraging everyone to take part and have fun together.
What are the advantages of aquatic play?
Aside from the fun factor, there are plenty of ways children can benefit from water play:
1. Sensory development: Cascading fountains provide plenty of opportunity for developing tactile skills, and learning more about how water interacts with different surfaces
2. Motor skills progression: With a huge variety of water based games, aquatic play can further everything from balance to hand-eye coordination.
3. Science and maths learning- As well as learning about measuring quantities, children will understand how water interacts with different objects and structures.
4. Confidence building - Water can be new and intimidating, especially to young children. Water play offers a safe environment to get to know this different and new substance.
5. Communication - In certain features, participants can work together to manipulate the flow of water, but this requires teamwork!
What are examples of aquatic play equipment?
If you’re still wondering what water play equipment looks like in the flesh, here are some examples:
1. Splashpads - Combining the sensations of different water movements - flowing, misting and jetting in a zero-depth aquatic play area.
2. Stepping stones - Based on natural stepping stones, textured pads can spray water high
into the sky while also promoting balance and coordination
4. Elevated structures: Multi platform structures give children the chance to create their own adventures with moving parts that really bring equipment to life.
5. Water Slides - A guaranteed winner, providing endless fun.
These are just a few examples of water play equipment you could use in your playground, but the possibilities are truly limitless.
With the capability to control everything from sun shading to the power of the water jets, you
have the power a fun environment for children of all ages.
What to consider when creating an aquatic playground
Building a water playground presents some unique challenges. As well as the standard concerns like planning permission, you need to consider water supply, filtration, health and safety, surfacing, zoned areas, existing services and this just scratches the surface.
This is where PlayRope comes in. We work with the world leaders in aquatic play equipment including Vortex International and Kaiser & Kuhne. We will collaborate and support you through all the project stages to ensure a smooth delivery of your aquatic play space.
Our extensive product range includes innovative and exciting designs that can bring your blueprints to life, creating a stunning and stimulating atmosphere for children to play and learn together. We can also help with any questions or concerns you may have on the practical side of getting your playground on time and on budget.
To find out more about how PlayRope can help you with your water play equipment, get in touch with us today.
Play your own way
We work with our clients to develop custom designs that meet their individual needs.